Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My New Life

Well, I am almost done with my 3 rd week of residency, and so far I have a love/hate relationship with my new life. I love the fact that I am no longer a student!! I was soooooo sick of going to a rotation and seeing patients, writing progress notes and history and physicals on them and then have them not count for a damn thing. Now my H&Ps count, as do my progress notes and I actually get to write orders and they will be done!! However, I hate my hours. I will hit 82 hours this week. 82 hrs in 1 week - that is insane!! Actually, I do not hate my hours when I am at work. I am so busy and I love learning about medicine that my days actually fly by, but it is hard on On Call Days to leave my husband and dogs and know that I will not see them until the next day and even when I do get home I will be so tired that I will be grumpy and so out of it that I will just want to sit there and watch So You Think You Can Dance - which by the way is my favorite summertime show!! Daniel has been amazingly supportive. Today he told me that I was his idol - isn't that sooo sweet. He has been so wonderful. Just yesterday he drove to Ulta to pick up my favorite hairspray. He has even offered to start doing the laundry which is true love coming from Daniel. However, I told Daniel no to the laundry - it makes me feel normal to have to do house work. I mean we already have a cleaner come and do everything else and if I was to do nothing at home I would feel lazy. My dogs definetely miss me and I miss them. I really need to get into a habit of walking them regularly to burn off some of their pent up emotions. I think the hardest part is just the adjustment to my new life. I cannot wait until I can handle cross-cover calls without asking my senior resident for help!! I know this will just come with time, but I cannot wait to be a helpful part of our team. I have been so lucky to have really nice senior residents. I have also learned that even after 4 years of medical school I still know nothing when it comes to clinical medicine. It is amazing what a long road this is I have decided to take, but I love it and am so excited that I am finally Dr Whiting.

PS I am really tired so please excuse the run on sentences and incoherent thoughts

4 comments:

Mary Postert said...

82 hours per week??? That is totally insane. I guess I'll quit complaining about my 40-hour work week.

Amy said...

Wow, Tonya. Graduation seemed so huge, but I guess it's just one step out of the way. You and Daniel are such a great team. I'm so glad you're finding ways to survive this together!

The Pettit Family said...

Congratulations Dr. Whiting! That is so exciting. I'm happy to see that you are doing well.

~Austin Goodspeed Pettit

Reena said...

Hi Tonya!!! (uh, I mean Dr. Whiting)! I have been searching the web and finally found you! I am so glad to hear about your success! Congrats!!!
I have been given the insanely difficult task of tracking down MHS volleyball alumni for a surprise party for Emrick and Kirby. Here is the email from coach strawn:
Hi everyone! As I am sure you have heard, Emrick and Kerby hung it up at
the end of the 2006 season. I would like to start a new tradition of having
all former players come back on senior night to honor the legacy these great
coaches left at Mesa High. There are so many of you out there, some even
still playing, that it would be great to get together. Kerby has officially
retired from teaching (even had his knee replaced!) while Emrick is back in
the classroom after taking a sabbatical last school year. He comes to
practice once a week or so and attends most of the matches. I would like
this first year of coming together to be a surprise for them - a bit of a
farewell/retirement party that they didn't get from all their former players
since they retired quietly. The only way we can really pull this off and
have a great turn-out is by each of you contacting your former teammates and
passing the information along. Just forward this email so that everyone can
respond back to me. I want to put a guest list of sorts together, recognize
former teams at the match, anything else anyone can think of - I am open to
any and all suggestions. Your admission will be free to the match if you
are wearing one of your team shirts or have emailed me to put you on the
guest list. I also want to set up tables in the dance room and have a
dessert reception after the match. If each of you can bring a treat to
share, we can snack and visit. Bring your families and cheer on this year's
seniors at their last match.

DATE: November 6th, Thursday, 6:30 pm Mesa vs Dobson Senior night

Thanks for your help and time with this. I think it will be really great.

Coach Amy Strawn

924-8920

I hope you can come!! I know you are wicked busy but it would be great to see you and I know Emrick and Kirb will cry! Plus I have this weird rash that maybe you could take a look at. . .
Just kidding!!!
You have always been my hero! Congrats again on your accomplishments!! Can you tell Trevor and make him tell Mike and their vball peeps?
THANK YOU!
Lori Everhart