Friday, November 30, 2007

Mortality

I have had a recent profound realization of how mortal we all are, in my person and professional worlds. With this comes a new appreciation for life but also an even greater appreciation for the gift that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have given us - this is not the end. Working in the ICU has been a phenomenal experience. It has opened my eyes to how fragile life can be and has burned fear into my heart of what a great responsibility it is to be a physician. Every day I go to work motivated to be the best doctor I can possibly be - to give the best care to each patient I will care for in the future.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Tonya, I imagine this is on your mind constantly - for both good & bad. You see the delicacy & resiliency of the human body all too often, I'm sure. I love knowing that there are doctors like you who think about this as a motivating factor. You amaze me!

Jaime said...

I can't even imagine the responsibility of being a physician! You're very strong, smart and caring...you'll be awesome!

eloise said...

I just want to say Tonya you are very smart, caring, and have a great desire to be the best you can be. Seems like i have heard how bummed out you are if you happen to miss one question on a test which probably doesn't happen often. We all know you will be an awesome Dr. and will accomplish whatever you do. I'm sure their will be days of trial, as that seems to be the way of life, but you will always pull through because you have studied and prepared for this. yOU WILL BE AWESOME LADY. aunt Eloise

Mary Postert said...

Tonya, hey I hope you had a good Christmas. You haven't posted for a while so we don't know what's going on with you. So our volleyball season started up again last night. I play with Cara Wilkins and Kristen Lowel. It's fun to play with them. Anyway, our setter can't make it next week to our game. Any chance you want to come play with us? Thursday at 6:30?